Experienced, entrepreneurial international school educator, technology coach and enthusiastic designer of professional development opportunities. I am an Apple Distinguished Educator and EARCOS recommended workshop presenter.
Technology has matured to the point where it is more about changing how we teach in the classroom than it is about learning the tools. Teachers today need a technology guide (coach) who is flexible, models best practices and designs a variety of ways to grow. A sense of humor goes a long way too.
- Master’s of Arts, Political Science | CSU, Fullerton 1996
- Bachelors of Arts, Political Science | CSU, Chico 1990
- Teaching Credential |Multiple Subjects | Chapman University 1996
- I.B. Certification, History | Armand Hammer United World College 1999
- James Madison Fellowship, History | American University, Washington D.C. 1994
Technology Coaching Experience (All underlined sections are hyperlinks)
HS/MS Technology Coach | Concordia International School, Shanghai | 2007- Present
- Responsibility: Coach Middle School and High School teachers and students to implement effective technology assisted lessons in a one-to-one Apple laptop and iPad classroom.
- Methods: Middle School online newspaper | Concordia professional broadcast studio | Student blogs as digital portfolios | Teacher and student video productions | Teacher and student WordPress sites | iPad apps | Social bookmarking | RSS | Team teach units | Flipped classroom model | Concordia virtual tech hub
- Responsibility: Train, create and support teachers and students on Concordia services:
- Programs: Concordiapad (Etherpad) | WordPress | MyConcordia (content management system) | Phoenix Video (internal YouTube) | Aspen online grading program | School wiki
- Responsibility: Provide professional growth opportunities for teachers and parents
- Methods: Codeveloped Concordia Apple Regional Training Center program | “The Tech Doctor Is In” training program | Individualized one-to-one assistance | Concordia Tech Training Institute | Parent Tech Presentation Series | Various presentations on technology and student learning
- Responsibility: Serve on school wide committees as directed
- Summary: Concordia broadcast studio committee member | New learning spaces at Concordia committee member | Alternative delivery models committee member
- Responsibility: High School JV and Middle School boys volleyball coach
- Summary: Truly enjoying the opportunity to coach a fantastic set of students as they transition from MS players to HS players. Volleyball website
High School Technology Coordinator | Kent Denver School | Denver, Colorado | 2003-2005
Worked with faculty to enhance and encourage the use of technology in the classroom | Taught various seminars to faculty on a variety of topics such as web page design, efficient use of email, discussion technologies, digital portfolios and scheduling software | Designed and developed a school-wide website for internal use by students and faculty | Taught Web Page Design and Introduction to Programming courses | Worked with the school’s curriculum panel to add an Introduction to Programming class | Initiated a trouble ticket system | Created literature and web-based videos to assist staff with common technology questions | Advised and led the school’s student-staffed technology team | Developed a technology plan for the 2004-2005 school year | Designed and maintained student grading and comments software | Investigated various student management software such as PowerSchool and SASI | Managed faculty laptop program
Online Teaching Experience
Co-founder | Innovative Professional Development | 2013-present
- Worked with a group of three founders to create an online location for teachers to both provide and receive outstanding professional development opportunities
- Led project management and build out of website and course design
Online Instructor | The Heritage Institute | Seattle, Washington | 2010-Present
- Currently teaching two self-designed classes targeting international school teachers
Online Instructor, Trainer | University of Phoenix (Axia College) | Phoenix, Arizona| 2005-2008
- Facilitated classes: Introduction to Technology and Introduction to Cultures | Corresponded with students via newsgroups, email and phone | Assessed and provided feedback of student projects and assignments | Assisted, mentored and supervised new faculty
Classroom Teaching Experience
Middle School Social Studies Teacher and Team Leader | Jakarta International School | Jakarta, Indonesia | 2000-2003
- Working in teaching teams, planned, evaluated and created integrated social science lesson plans. Area of concentration included Roman, Greek, and ancient Egyptian civilizations. Managed student generated website and content thanks to an innovative technology grant.
Middle School Social Studies and Computer Teacher, Department Head | American International School | Riyadh, Saudi Arabia | 1996-2000
- Worked as part of a learning community and incorporated a wide variety of teaching techniques: simulations, debates, cooperative learning, and multimedia presentations. Pioneered student generated presentations and portfolios via Hyperstudio, PowerPoint, and web pages. Major emphasis on United States history.
- Planned, evaluated, and created real world computer programming projects. Generated electronic portfolios. Utilized Visual Basic and HTML languages.
High School Social Studies Teacher | CNMI Public School System | Northern Marianas Islands, Saipan | 1992-1994
- Taught US History and World Geography to a diverse population of Micronesian students. Sophomore class advisor. Association of Commonwealth Teachers board member.
- Teacher Pre-Conference Workshop: Shift happens. Are you in denial? (April 2013)
- Weekend Workshop: The Communication Revolution and Digital Citizenship (November 2012)
- Teachers Pre-conference Workshop: Teaching in a 1:1 laptop environment (April 2012)
- Teachers Pre-conference Workshop: Visual literacy (April 2011)
- Weekend Workshop: Digital story telling with Magnum in Motion producer Adrian Kelterborne (November 2010)
Learning 2.0 Conference Organization
- Gamify and Flip EdTech Professional Development (2013)
- Bring Digital Badges to Your Classroom and Organization (2013)
- First Steps cohort (September 2010)
- Tech 101 cohort (September 2011)
Apple Distinguished Educator
- My child has a laptop, now what?
- Great iPhone apps for Shanghai and everywhere
- How High School students use their laptop
- Laptop research initiative
- Control your digital input stream
Student Learning Presentations
Co-founder and Board Chair | SHINE Academy | 2012-Present
- Worked with a group of five founders to create one of the first fully inclusive (mainstream and special needs) schools in Shanghai
- Developed and implemented effective marketing campaign
- Designed and built school website
- Recruited, hired teachers and administrators
- Currently serve as board chair and head of Human Resources
Co-host and Producer | Concordia Ed Tech Podcast | 2012-Present
- Developed and designed Concordia’s first regular EdTech Podcast
- Interviewed guests from a variety of EdTech companies and programs
- Co-developed regular round table topics for discussion
Host and Producer | Autismpodcast.org | 2005-2010
- Produce, develop and schedule guests for a regular 30 minute program about autism spectrum disorder
- Manage website, subscribers, listener feedback
- Developed and implemented a continued marketing strategy to increase listeners
United States Congressional Intern | Congressman George Brown’s Office | San Bernardino, CA | 1995
- Focused on education issues for the district office such as the We the People program. Drafted correspondence on behalf of constituents to various government agencies.